Sunday, January 22, 2017

recipe: my mom's oatmeal mix


It't interesting to me how things change here on the blog based on the seasons. Fall is full of craft & fiber art related posts, while I frantically work on ALL the projects. Winter tends to be filled with a lot of reflection & a little goal setting as the year turns. And Summer is just full of recipes. 

If I'm honest, the main reason I don't post many recipes throughout the cooler months of the year is basically because of one thing- by the time we sit down to eat dinner, there's no daylight left to get a good photo. I love Fall & Winter cooking and have of course, been doing plenty (as we do need to eat...) but I just don't have the energy for photographing meals in these oh-so-short days.

So until daylight savings rolls around again, here's a recipe for one of my favorite breakfasts: oatmeal. This is my mom's mix, that I've been enjoying these past few weeks. It's nice and simple, but adds a little extra something to that morning bowl of oats.


mix together:
1 cup of regular oats
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/4 large oats
2 tsp flax seeds
1 tsp bran

And that's all you have to do. I store mine in a large jar and keep it on a shelf in my kitchen along with a jar of granola, a few small jars of nuts & dried fruit for optional toppings and my favorite cereal bowls. 

You can cook this mix up however you prefer to cook your oatmeal (in milk or water) and serve it however you'd like. I like mine with a bit of brown sugar, or with grated apple and cinnamon. The perfect cozy breakfast for a cold winter weekday morning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment