Friday, April 17, 2015

a simple scrappy blanket


A few weeks ago, I shared this photo on Instagram of my yarn basket, filled to the brim with neutral colored yarn. 

The truth is, most of that yarn was single skeins left over from projects, or odds and ends that have gathered up over the years (though there are a few gems in there for sure). 

I also shared awhile back about my desire to start purchasing yarn more mindfully. I knew that most of the yarn in that basket wasn't going to get used up. I didn't have projects in mind for it, nor did it fit with the new direction I was hoping to go in with my fiber pursuits. 

So. I did what any resourceful crafter would do and started a scrappy blanket, to turn those unloved, mismatched skeins into something useful, comforting and full of love. 



I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had no plan whatsoever for the order of the colors- I just tried to pair yarns together based on their weight. Nor did I have a plan for the size, but I'm all out of scraps and it feels pretty good to me. At the last minute, I decided to use some white yarn to create a lace-like edging and I'm really glad I did. It ties it all together nicely. I really love that the stripes are all different widths and finish at all different points in the blanket. Some are large and some small and I think together, it ties in rather nicely. 

Earlier this week I was getting pretty anxious to finish it up. It's been a blast to work on (for sure!) but it's getting warmer out, and working on a blanket isn't really what I want to be doing on these almost Summer-like days. I've got a whole list of new projects I'm hoping to get to eventually and I just really wanted to be done. So I pushed through the last few rows and she's all finished. 



Yaaay! I've already been getting good use out of the blanket in the mornings while it's a bit cooler, curled up on the couch with a warm cuppa and a good book to start the day!

Honestly, it's been so great to work through my stash. Though I'm not at all against having a stash (and I've still got some yarn kicking around) I feel so much better without all that yarn staring at me, begging to be used up, all the while I know that's not going to happen. And now that I've used up some of it I'm hoping to give away or donate the rest of what I won't use (just a few skeins now) and then I'll have a blank slate of sorts to work with. Stay tuned for a post with some of the yarn I'm hoping to get my hands on next!

12 comments:

  1. I love that blanket! I'm a huge fan of making blankets to get rid of stash that's weighing you down, and yours came out beautifully. Glad to hear it's getting some good use so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yes, it's a lovely idea for sure- turning something we won't use into something that will be used and loved.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful way to use your old stash - I love so much your blanket too - and the border is an attractive finish !
    I have a friend who has to introduce me to hook this week-end and I'm so impatient...
    I am also curious to know your knitting projects for this summer - so, see you soon on your blog !
    Isabelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Isabelle. Ooohhh that sounds fun- I hope you'll enjoy learning crochet. I found it to be easier than knitting but it was still a challenge at the beginning for sure.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, love how it turned out! The colors go really well together, it definitely looks intentional :) I've been doing some major purging in the last few weeks but my yarn stash just stares at me mockingly. Might have to find a way to use up all that leftover yarn too :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kristina. If you can find a way to use it up, I really recommend it! It feels really good to have it all used up and out of my stash!

      Delete
  4. This looks so lovely. A blanket is definitely on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yes, blankets are one of my favorite things to make...

      Delete
  5. I never would guess this was a scrappy blanket! The neutral yarns definitely pair so nicely together. I've really fallen in love with neutrals, especially creams + greys this last winter, that your blanket may inspire my need to start a neutral blanket for our bed (next winter of course). Can't wait to hear about your new yarns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you so much! I'm really glad to hear that you think the yarns pair nicely together- I was a little bit worried about them all being too different from each other and the blanket looking just disorganized. But I'm pretty happy with it. A neutral blanket for a bed sounds like a brilliant idea! You'll have to let me know if you decide to make one come winter so I can see :)

      Delete
  6. I never would guess this was a scrappy blanket! The neutral yarns definitely pair so nicely together. I've really fallen in love with neutrals, especially creams + greys this last winter, that your blanket may inspire my need to start a neutral blanket for our bed (next winter of course). Can't wait to hear about your new yarns :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yarn just staring at me that I refuse to get rid of no matter how cheap/low quality that yarn is. I just think I need to make it into a junk blanket to have and add to as I go through this knitting journey. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I just can't part with it.

    ReplyDelete