Friday, January 9, 2015

Best Books of 2014


I read waaaay less this year than I normally do (something to do with all the knitting I believe...)  I did, however, manage to get to a few books that have been on my list for ages AND I discovered some incredible gems. Here's the best of the best from this past year:

best non-fiction: The Happiness Project (Gretchen Rubin)

best re-read: Letters to a Young Poet (Rilke)

most surprised to love: Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë)

hardest to put down: Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn)

most likely to change my daily life: Bread & Wine (Shauna Niequest)

favorite classic: A Room with a View (EM Forster)

highest recommended: The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)

best memoir/biography: My Life in France (Julia Child)

best crafty-related book: Extra Yarn (Mac Barnett) 

most loveable characters: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbozky)

most likely to be re-read: Animal Dreams (Barbara Kingsolver)

see last year's list here. Also, to follow along with what's on my bookshelves (and coffee table, and night stand...) join me on Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this list; I will read The Book Thief in the nearest future and will share with my mother. Bread and Wine might not be for the introvert I am, but I will give it a try, anyway. I am not familiar with most of the books on your list and I will check them all or most of them (I am not a fan of Rilke so might skip that one). I have read Jane Eyre as a child and have re-read since then, for it feels very cosy and soothing to me somehow. And I need to read The Room with a View, I have heard of it before. So, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you found some recommendations in my list! I'm also a complete introvert but I personally think that the heart & message in Bread and Wine is for everyone ;)
      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your list! I plan to read Gone Girl soon, but you are really making me want to read all books on that list - except Jane Eyre, already read that one some years ago :)

    ReplyDelete