Wednesday, April 24, 2013

repurposed


over the next couple of months, I am going to write a series of posts on my favorite items to repurpose into craft projects. I'm super excited about this because not only do I believe in it, but it's also fun. And, there are some really great repurposed ideas out there. 
Each post will include a list of ideas on how to use each item. It will also include a quick and easy DIY tutorial.

so, to start us off: jars.

I adore glass jars. 

  • I used 120 of them in my wedding as flower vases, and still have a few around my house to use for this purpose. 
  • I drink out of them. People laugh when they come over. But why not?
  • I put candles in them. Especially tea lights. Especially on warm summer evenings.
  • I put craft supplies in them. (so far this has included buttons, knitting needles, coloured pencils, and embroidery thread) 
  • I dress them up and use them as decor. I wrap them in lace, ribbon, and twine.
  • I use them to store loose leaf tea. Or sugar. Or dried cranberries. Or nuts and seeds. 
  • In my old apartment in Vancouver, I drilled a hole in the top of one, put a soap pump in, and used it as a dish soap dispenser.  
  • I have even planted succulents in them. 

I buy jam, pesto, olives, or spaghetti sause based on what the jars look like so I can save them and use them for some fun project.

Speaking of some fun project. 



Today I wanted to share a quick little projet I made when we moved into our new apartment, to make it feel a little bit more like home.

You will need:


  • one jar of course. This can be any size and shape you would like it to be.
  • a couple of sticks collected from your garden or a nearby park.
  • scrap yarn in 2-3 complimentary colours. 
  • some lace, thread, or twine to tie around the mouth of the jar.
Now, basically, all you need to do is make a few pom poms to attach to the sticks. 
If you haven't done this before, it's super easy. I'm pretty sure it was a grade school class project once upon a time. I know some people buy kits, or make circles out of cardboard, but in my opinion this is needlessly over-complicated.
I used this method, from Creature Comfort blog. 

And it's as simple as that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment