Friday, April 26, 2013

april's books


this month was not really one for novels. 

I started out with Pamela Druckerman's Bringing Up Bebe, in which she (an American parent of 3 living in Paris) discusses the philosophies and techniques of French parents and how they differ to those of their American counterparts. I thought it was charmingly written, insightful, and loved it from the start.

My husband and I both ploughed through Rob Bell's What We Talk About When We Talk About God within a week of it's arrival in our mailbox. For me it was like one giant sigh of relief. Plus I learned a ton.

I read both The Handmade Marketplace and Knitting for Good as part of my research on creative businesses, and the place of hand crafted items in the independent micro economy. They were both really great, practical reads- the first almost a handbook and the second more of a philosophy. 

And now I come to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Schaffer, Barrows). I had heard so much about this book, seen it pop up on tons of recommendation lists, walked past it in the front windows of multiple book stores, and yet had never picked it up. I have NO IDEA why. This is one of the best novels I have read in ages. It's been added to my favorites shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment