Monday, April 25, 2016

recipe: raspberry almond scones



Recently I've become obsessed with taking photos of our breakfasts. 

I don't know if it's the morning light in our new dining room, or the fact that Waldi now has Sundays off and we've made a habit of making something special to start the morning off with, or if it's maybe due to my new cookbook... But the fact is, I can't stop snapping photos of our breakfasts! (I've even made a Pinterest board to fuel this obsession...)

Anyhow. Part of this of course involves me coming up with new and delicious ideas for us to enjoy on these slow mornings. I've shared before but I mostly eat the same thing every day for breakfast during the week- homemade granola with yogurt & fruit or sometimes oatmeal in the cooler months. But it's been fun to mix it up on Sundays and I've been experimenting with all sorts of deliciousness. 

We live next door to a bakery, so I often walk over there on Sundays and pick us up some fresh buns and croissants for a traditional German breakfast (if you're curious, in our house this basically includes hard-boiled eggs, cheese, tomatoes, spreads and jams). We've made pancakes multiple times, and scrambled eggs with breakfast potatoes, and even bacon & egg bagel sandwiches . 

But this past weekend, I was at a loss for what to make. After rummaging through the fridge and kitchen shelves, I came across a bag of frozen raspberries which came from my mother-in-law's garden last summer and a jar of ground almonds. So I decided to whip up some simple raspberry almond scones. 

I couldn't find a recipe that I was really happy with, so this is my own, cobbled together from several different scone recipes I've tried over the years and heavily modified to fit with what I had. Also, I'm so pleased I came up with the idea to add the almonds. They make all the difference. 

Here's the recipe in case you'd like to make these for your own family on a slow weekend morning.





you will need:

1 3/4 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar (plus optional extra for sprinkling)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
50 g cold butter
1/4 cup ground almonds
3/4 cup milk
2 generous handfuls of frozen raspberries


Preheat your oven to 180C. Mix together your flour, sugar, BP, almonds and salt. Cut in your butter, in small chunks and mix together. I used my hands for this, but if you have fancy kitchen tools like a pastry cutter, feel free to use that instead. At this point your dough should be very crumbly. 

Slowly pour in your milk and mix with a wooden spoon. The dough should now be pretty sticky. Add your raspberries and stir carefully until incorporated. You don't want to stir too much and turn the dough pink! 

Using a spoon, plop your dough onto a baking tray. From these amounts you should get 6 decently sized scones. Sprinkle the tops of the scones lightly with a bit of sugar. I usually place the baking tray in the fridge at this point for 2-3 mins before baking to make sure the dough is nice and firm when it goes in the oven.

Bake for 25 mins, until golden brown. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly. One thing I'd like to try next time is adding slivered almonds and icing sugar to the tops of these instead of the sprinkled sugar. I think that would be delicious! 

Serve with butter & jam or whipped/clotted cream while still warm for best results. And enjoy your cozy weekend breakfast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment