Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July's books



Oh Summer. 

I love reading in the summer. Evenings outside in the park, or on my favorite bench, by the river. 

As I mentioned before, my mom is visiting me right now. Thankfully she is also a reader so we can spend some of our time together with books. She brought with her a Nicholas Sparks book she bought for the plane ride and since I jump at any new novel I can get my hands on in English, I read it. At First Sight was a quick 2 day read, nothing spectacular but not a total waste of time. 

This month I also read A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Reasons Why We Can't Stop Reading Jane Austen. (edited by Susanna Carson). I absolutely loved it. It was funny, irreverent, insightful, academic and diverse. Each essay brought something new to the conversation, and though I didn't agree with each thing said, I feel like I learned so much! It also made me crave re-reading a few of my favorite novels that I haven't picked up in awhile. 

I also read Shakespeare's As You Like It. It's been awhile since I read any of his work and it was nice to return. Rosalind is one of his most delightful Female leads and I always enjoy reading a good drama. 

Right now I am making my way through One Day by David Nicholls. I am reading it in German, and though it's the 5th German novel I've tackled this year, it is by far the longest and most complex. I am loving it. Absolutely. More on that next month though!  

No comments:

Post a Comment