Friday, June 21, 2013

book review: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle



so. I spent the past week and a half re-reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle. It gets me every time.

First of all. Kingsolver is an inspiring writer. I mean, she writes things like "his profile flails against a horizon the color of rising dough" (from Pigs in Heaven). Seriously.
So, who better to write a book detailing an adventure in a year of local eating? 

This book is passionate, persuasive, and inspiring. If you haven't read it, I really recommend picking up a copy. But be warned. It may very well change the way you consider your food system. 

Waldi and I try really hard to learn about the food we eat. We want to know how and where it was grown, what went into it, and how those growing it are treated. But we still have so much to learn. 
Here are several of the main thoughts I've had after reading this book through a second time:
  • eating seasonally has become a bit of a trend, but earlier was the only way it was even possible to eat. how is it, that over just a few generations, we have become so disconnected to the natural cycle of growing seasons?
  • I am a vegetarian. I have chosen this for several reasons- environmental, social, ethical...And yet, I don't give as much thought to the amount of fossil fuels it takes to get my food to me. Geez.
  • I've always prioritized "thinking globally." And while this is important, it should in no way diminish "acting locally."

So that's what I hope to do, as I continue examining my food system and questioning where what I eat is coming from. Act locally. And go from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment