Wednesday, July 15, 2015

wear handmade project update: halfway point



I can't believe I'm already halfway through my year-long wear handmade project. It's been so much fun choosing a pattern to knit up each month, thinking about what items are missing from my handmade wardrobe and encouraging myself to wear the things I've made. 

I've also been learning so much. I last did an update 3 months in, and I'm so surprised to see how much has changed even since then. (For one, I said I wouldn't be knitting any shawls...)

Today I thought I would do things a little differently and go through each months' project one by one to share my thoughts. There have been some definite hits and misses in this project and that's ok- part of what I'm hoping to do is experiment- to learn what it is about a pattern that makes me want to wear it (or not) and find the gaps in my handmade wardrobe. 

To read the individual posts and for links to the patterns go here.

January: The Kingsley hat by DreaReneeKnits
Though I love this pattern, I did not love my hat. I chose the wrong color and since I have several other hats that I love quite a bit more, I ended up giving this one away to a friend. So sadly, this one was a miss.

February: Lila Pullover by Carrie Hoge
This is the project I am most proud of so far. I'm a bit surprised that it's been the only sweater and I'm hoping to change that in the coming months for sure (I've got 2 already selected for coming month's projects). Sweaters are something that I really want to add to my handmade wardrobe and this was a hit for sure. 

March: Greyhaven Cowl by Robin Ulridge
Again, I love this pattern and I adore the yarn I used but I didn't get much wear out of this cowl as of yet. We'll see what happens come Fall, as that tends to be the time of year for knit cowls. The jury's still out on whether this is a hit or miss. 

April: Irish Oats socks by Cabin Four
Socks are one item I feel like I could consistantly keep adding to my handmade wardrobe, and still get wear out of them all. In the cooler months I wear handknit socks every day, both at home and out and about (I always wear them over a pair of other socks) and this means that I really can't have enough of them. Another solid hit.

May: Potter's Shawl by Jen Lewis
This was a bit of a gamble. I've mentioned before that I never wore the one other shawl that I've made, but I fell in love with this design and was intrigued by the shape of it. I was curious about how it would turn out and if it was more suited to my wardrobe. Turns out it is a major hit. I love it and have worn it several times despite being completely seasonally inappropriate. 

June: Pinecone & Mulberry Hat by Mandarine's
Since I've already made this hat, I knew it would be a hit. I wanted a hat with this shape and color in my collection and I'm pleased with how this turned out. I've left it in Germany while I'm home over the summer but know I'll be wearing it tons come Fall.


So all in all, it's been a great learning experience for me. Over the next few months I'm hoping to knit at least one cardigan and another sweater. July's project is already off to a great start and I'll be sharing more about that next week. There will be another pair of socks during the summer and potentially a second shawl and/or cowl come Fall. I'm debating extending this project into January (since I gave away my Kingsley hat) so that I'll have 12 items in the end and if that's the case, I'll probably include another hat. 

I'm excited about what I'm learning and where this project is taking me for sure!

What are you guys knitting over the summer months? Do you knit all year round?

3 comments:

  1. I'm going on a road trip for two weeks with my husband while we explore Eastern Canada. I've started Brooklyn Tweed's Benton pullover for the trip! I just finished the Azalea tank through my LYS knit-along, and I'm hoping to do another pair of socks for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like most of your projects worked out well - how great to have a wearable handmade wardrobe come fall! I'm in a bit of a knitting slump right now. I'm still struggling with my red cardigan and it's going so slowly even though I am on the last leg (or sleeve, actually). Once I finish that (hopefully soon) I hope my knitting mojo will be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting. I really need to take knitting classes. All I know is how to knit and my purl is horrible.

    My 2015 goal has been to knit scarves and cowls for the homeless family shelter here in Indianapolis IN USA. Today I took my first donation and hopefully by December I have another 20+ items to take them. They house ~ 55-85 families any given day so I'd like to hit 50 at the lowest.

    ReplyDelete