Friday, May 10, 2013

the way I came


this is the first thing I ever successfully knit. After many unfortunate-looking, lop-sided swatches, I decided to get serious and made this scarf for my husband (then boyfriend). I knit it on long circular needles so that I could make the stripes vertical rather than the classical horizontal. It's mostly just garter stitch, with a few rows of stocking stitch in the lighter-grey sections to add some texture. I'm pretty sure the pattern came from one of my mom's knitting magazines, but I don't remember anymore. Every time he wears it, I still feel a little bit of pride.

anyways. the point of all this is that I have come a long way. I finished this scarf at the end of 2011. That's two and a half years. In two and a half years I have learned a lot about this craft that was then so foreign and difficult to me. 
there are weeks (like this one) where I need to remember this. where I look at what I have made and call it anything but good. where I wonder how long it will be before I can make this or that project. where I need to celebrate something.
for now, that something can be the way that I have come since this first scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment