Wednesday, May 29, 2013

may's books


so it's true. there are still a few days left in May. But I will not be spending them reading, as I have friends and family from Canada visiting and then am going to a wedding! So I thought I would go ahead and post this up. 

this month was basically fiction- to make up for last month's serious lack. I don't appreciate people who say they don't read fiction. Well, at least those people who say it as if that makes them smarter...you know the ones, who "don't have time" to read fiction for all the other important books they have to read. I think story is one of the most powerful tools we have available to us. It breaks down barriers and abolishes ignorance, all through beauty, art and emotion. 

Ok. enough ranting. On to the books!
I started out this month with 3 consecutive re-reads. It was a little excessive I know.

First came Jane Austen's Persuasion. I was in the mood for some Austen after (finally) watching the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and I hadn't read this one in ages. Such a lovely read!

Next, I did a quick re-read of F. Scott's The Great Gatsby, just in preparation for the movie. (And WHAT a movie- beautiful, brilliant, excessive, sad.)

I also read John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. This was technically a re-read, but the first time through I read it in German and so this time it was even more beautiful and affecting.

My sister lent me Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and it was a quick, entertaining read. 

And lastly came Paula McLain's The Paris Wife. It tells the story of Ernest Hemmingway and his first wife, Hadley. I thought it was  well told, interesting, and heartbreaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment