Monday, January 1, 2018

one word 2018


I love the calm, coffee-soaked days between Christmas and New Year’s. Days spent cozying up at home, reflecting on the year that’s passed and planning for the one to come. I’ve got a few exciting goals & projects planned for 2018 and I’m so excited to see how they turn out. One of the practices I most look forward to is picking a guiding word for each year. 

Last year I really struggled to pick a word. For the first time ever, January began and I still hadn't decided. The truth is, at the beginning of this past year I didn't have the faintest idea where I was heading- there was no flicker of a vision or direction on the horizon. I was feeling lost both in my role as a mother and my place in this corner of the world I currently call home. I not only did not know where my path was leading- I could not see the path. In the end I chose the word GROW because I knew I wanted to move forward, even if at the time I was completely unsure what that would look like. 

In some ways GROW was a good word- I certainly grew a lot. I watched my baby grow into a toddler at some point over the last 12 months (HOW did this even happen..?!). But during the course of the year, it was the word PURSUE that resonated. It chose me. This year was an incredible adventure of putting myself out there, taking risks and going after the things I wanted. From something as simple as starting the book club I'd always wanted to be a part of, to making new friends and digging deeper into a community here, to of course launching r&s yarn and taking on a new job.(much of this last point I owe to my work with Making Stories, as I shared over on IG here

This year’s word is SUSTAIN. I’m excited to see how this theme plays out over the weeks and months ahead and already have goals set in line with it. In 2017 I added a lot of new things to my life both personally and professionally, and now is the time to really sink into those things, to make sure that I'm able to sustain them all in a healthy way for both me and my family. This has a lot to do with time management, obviously but also with finances and self-care and mindfulness. 

Another angle on this word that I'm excited to explore is the whole sustainability aspect. In 2017 I had a lot of discussions (and learned a ton) about environmental issues. I've set a few very concrete goals for our family to hopefully reduce our ecological footprint and live with a little more kindness to our planet. I'm super excited to unpack this a little more over the next few months (probably via Instagram). 

So welcome 2018. I sincerely wish you all the best for this new year!

2 comments:

  1. Firstly, Happy New Year Ruth! I hope this coming year will be full of good health & happiness for you and your family...and lots of exciting new creative ventures, for you both in your personal making & in your fledgling roles as yarn producer and collaborator with making stories.

    It was so fascinating reading this post, giving us a glimpse into some of the "back stage" of R&S yarns and also your work as a designer. It's so encouraging for me to see how your year gradually unfolded, with a clearer path & purpose slowly emerging. It is also extremely encouraging to see how you grabbed onto each oppurtunity that came your way, even though I'm sure there was plenty of nerves & doubts before hand!

    "Sustain" sounds like such a fantastic guiding word for this coming year, I shall be really interested to see how you explore instilling sustainability into the various roles you occupy in your life, as well as the other meaning about how you and your family fit into the wider world. Both of these subjects are very close to my heart too, so it will be fun following along as you share here and elsewhere.

    I'm still not quite decided upon my own word, but I look forward to sharing about it soon...2017 was a year of great reflection & transition for us which left us feeling rather wrung out at the end of it. But I'm surprised to find a new strength slowly appearing as this new one begins...and excited to find that one way it seems to be starting to express itself is a need to write once again...exciting!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LE-MERIDIAN FUNDING SERVICES. We are directly into pure loan and project(s) financing in terms of investment. We provide financing solutions to private/companies seeking access to funds in the capital markets i.e. oil and gas, real estate, renewable energy, Pharmaceuticals, Health Care, transportation, construction, hotels and etc. We can finance up to the amount of $900,000,000.000 (Nine Hundred Million Dollars) in any region of the world as long as our 1.9% ROI can be guaranteed on the projects.
    Le-Meridian Funding Service -Email info@lemeridianfds.com.
    lfdsloans@outlook.com
    (WhatsApp...+1-989-3943-740 Or Call +1-913-9518-145)

    ReplyDelete