Monday, June 22, 2015

on my bookshelf: summer reading list


I mentioned several weeks ago on Instagram that I'm going through a bit of a reading slump. I've started and abandoned several books over the past few months and slogged my way through a few less than stellar novels- I read Us because I loved One Day and One Plus One because I loved Me Before You and the experience was, in both cases, less than stellar.

Sometimes this happens. I used to average about a book a week but I've seriously lost my reading mojo. However. I'm soon returning to the land where all the books are in my language and I'm hoping this will encourage me to pick up a few. Since I've read nothing recently to share about, I thought I would share my summer reading list today with you all. 

Here's what I'm hoping to pick up this summer:

Wild (Cheryl Strayed)
As evidenced in the above photo, I've actually started this already. I read the first few chapters several months ago but life got in the way and I put it down. I'm planning to bring this on the plane with me to kick off my summer reading.

The Girl on the Train (Paula Hawkins)
So, this book has been popping up everywhere (and by everywhere I mean of course, Instagram...) and my mom mentioned it to me while she was visiting. I've only really read the occasional thriller but I'm super curious about this one. 

Wicked (Gregory Maguire)
I've been meaning to read this book for ages (it's on the list after all...) and I know my sister's got a worn out paperback copy kicking around somewhere...

An Everlasting Meal (Tamar Adler)
This is another book I've been meaning to get to for ages. I sure do enjoy a good foodie read and this has been highly recommended from so many sides I've lost count. 

Still (Lauren Winner)
After reading Girl Meets God I became determined to read all of Lauren Winner's books. So far I've not had the opportunity to pick up another one, but I'm hoping to change that this summer.

Agnes Grey (Anne Brontë)
Last summer I became obsessed with the Brontë sisters. I reread Jane Eyre which I hadn't enjoyed the first time around and loved it so much that I read everything by and about them that I could get my hands on. Though I've heard good things about this novel, I didn't manage to get to it last summer. Hopefully I can change that over the next few weeks.

Home and Away (Hannah Fetig)
Ok, so this is probably cheating a bit but you guys- this book. Have you seen it? 

What are you guys hoping to read this summer? Any recommendations? As always, I'd love to hear!

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading you opinion on Wild! Have you read The Wall by Marlen Haushofer yet? It's actually from Austria, but available in English. A great novel, worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I haven't heard of that book. Thanks for sharing! I'll make sure to check it out.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you have great plans for reading this summer! I really enjoyed Wild, hope you do too! Ah, that Hanna Fettig collection looks like a dream!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes I know. I'm in no way planning to make it through all of them, but I like to have options :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete