Monday, June 9, 2014

on my bookshelf: children's literature



It's been awhile since I've shared what I've been reading! I've made my way through a pretty varied list of books recently, and today I thought I would share a small list of children's books (both picture books and novels) that I've read (or re-read) in the past few months. It's no secred that I love a good children's book, and I think each of these is worth a read, regardless of how long ago you left childhood behind :)  

The Hobbit -JRR Tolkien 

I mentioned last month that I currently have a goal to read through all Waldi's favorite books. This is at the top of his list so I figured I'd better get on it! I really enjoyed the story! 

The Tales of Beedle the Bard -JK Rowling

Picked this up at the library a little while ago mostly out of curiosity, and I'm really glad I did! I read it all in one evening and I thought the stories were fun and interesting. The sections with Dumbledore's notes were probably my favorite though. 


A Wrinkle in Time -Madeline L'Engle (re-read) 

This has been near the very top of my favorite books list for ages. When I was younger I really identified with little Meg Murray. (and let's be honest, a not-so-small part of me still does!) I recently read through it again and as always, it doesn't disappoint.

Extra Yarn - Mac Barnett 

You guys. This book is adorable! I love picture books, but this one is just on a whole new level! It's about a girl who finds a box with magic yarn that doesn't run out. The drawings are lovely and I love how she knits sweaters for everyone (and everything) she knows! 

Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter (re-read)

I love Beatrix Potter. I recently flipped through this book while browsing in my favorite book store. SO many childhood memories! 


so what's next in the children's literature department? I'm currently reading Wildwood by Colin Meloy, and then I'd like to read a few of Astrid Lindgren's books (hopefully in German!)

No comments:

Post a Comment