Monday, March 24, 2014

in my studio: storage



the "in my studio" series is a chance for me to share bits and pieces of my crafting and design process, the work and inspiration behind my art. (previous posts include my pattern book, a day in the life, my packaging essentials and tools of the trade).

It's no secret that one day I would love to have a home studio. Since we don't currently have the space, I've transformed a corner of our living room into my "studio". It's small but functional and I love having all my tools and supplies in the same spot. (I think Waldi likes it too...this way he doesn't find wool tucked into every corner of our apartment!) Today I thought I would share a bit about how I maximize my storage space. 



cabinet: I won't say a lot about this, since I've talked more about it before but I will say that I would be lost without it. This is the heart of my home studio, so to say.

glass jars: I use glass jars to store my straight needles & DPN's, and also my embroidery thread. Usually I make some sort of crochet trim to go around the jars, but I think they look cute on their own too.

cans: I started storing my pencil crayons in a can as a temporary solution. I always meant to find something better to keep them in, but now I'm sort of attached to the look! 



mugs: I'm a sucker for cute mugs at flea markets. I can never resist! Since there's no way I can drink out of all of them, I've started using them to store my tools- crochet hooks, washi tape, hole punch, you name it! Recently, I even started using one to hold yarn scraps. 

 fabric pouches: These are so useful and versatile! I use them to hold my circular needles, and to store any projects I want to bring with me in my larger bag. I recently bought some fabric to make a few more with, since I just never seems to have enough lying around! 




baskets: I use a larger, colorful basket to hold yarn for projects I'm working on, or for future orders. I also have a smaller basket for fabric scraps, or things I've embroidered that don't yet have a home (like that little hedgehog pin shown above) 

bookshelf: Waldi build a wonderful bookshelf out of recycled wine crates when we first moved here. It's one of my favorite things about our apartment! I use one of the bottom crates to store finished projects, and of course all my crafting books are there as well. 

so there you have it! that's how I maximize my space! do you have a home crafting space? if so, how do you organize it? I'd love to hear your tips! 

No comments:

Post a Comment